Friday, February 12, 2010

Winter Wonderland

Dallas Fort Worth has become a winter wonderland!  We received 12'' of snow yesterday, making it the snowiest day EVER in the metroplex and breaking 111 year old records!  It was absolutely incredible to see it all coming down hour after hour.  Luckily, though, the roads stayed pretty safe.  There was fear that everything would freeze this morning, but the roads were pretty passable and work continues as normal.

I haven't blogged much in the last couple weeks mainly because there hasn't been much to blog about.  My life of late has consisted of work and sleep.  I've been completely slammed at work - doing the jobs of 4 different people...ALONE.  It hasn't been fun, but I'm getting through, and I'm finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. 

Valentine's Day is this weekend.  I've never really been one to celebrate it as a holiday.  I've always thought it was a pretty crappy one, in fact.  Number one - my grandfather died on Valentines Day back in 1994.  So for several years after that, whether I had a significant other or not, I refused to be happy and lovey that day.  As I got older, though, the grief from losing my grandfather melted away, but my affinity for V-Day never returned.  I just didn't care...and I still don't.  To me, it's a meaningless holiday...and has no business being celebrated.  But that's just me.

Last year for Valentine's Day, Jason and I went out to dinner at a fabulous restaurant in Dallas.  It's called Nick & Sam's.  It's one of the premiere steakhouses in town.  We had a wonderful evening, and it was one of the first Valentine's Days in recent memory that I actually enjoyed.  Of course, I enjoyed most days that I got to spend with him, so why should that time be any different?  I think that's why I'm anti-V-Day this year...for obvious reasons.  I just want it to be another day.  I don't want to get any presents.  I'm not going to give any presents.  I don't want to get any sappy Valentine's Day cards, and I'm certainly not going to give any.  Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of people whom I love.  I just don't feel like I should be required to say it, show it, and flaunt it if I don't want to. 

Call me bitter.  I probably am to some extent.  But, so what?  As my friend Amy says... GOI.  That stands for "GET OVER IT!" 

Until next time --
Stuart

No comments:

Post a Comment