Thursday, May 27, 2010

May 27, 2009

It's Wednesday, May 27, 2009.  I woke up early again this morning after hearing Jason moaning from the other room.  I laid in bed for a minute to listen and see if he was truly in distress, and after hearing his dad's voice, I got up to go check on things.  Jason was writhing around in the hospital bed, scrunching his face in pain.  But this didn't seem like the normal pain he had been experiencing in recent days and weeks.  This was agony.  He was in extreme pain.

I immediately got on the phone to the hospice nurse (mind you, just yesterday we had practically begged for 24 hour care and were told it wasn't critical enough yet) to get her take on what we should do.  She instructed me to retrieve the morphine from the refrigerator and administer a few drops.  It was the strangest thing, though... when I got back to Jason's bedside with the medication, he quite literally panicked when he saw me with it.  I'm not sure what he thought it was, but his dad and I had to stop and calm him down and explain that it was going to help him.  After a few minutes, he relaxed a bit and allowed me to drop the drug into his mouth.

An hour later, the pain was worse.  The morphine didn't help, so I called the nurse again.  Again I asked for her to rush over, that a professional needed to handle this.  Again she told me to give him two more drops of the morphine.  I complied, and after another hour, things were still getting worse.  This time, I called the "case supervisor" and all but threatened her life if someone wasn't at the house in a matter of minutes.  I don't often do this, but I threw my job in her face and explained that she was "fucking with the wrong investigator" and that she "better fix this situation fast" or she'd "find Vitas and its incompetance plastered on the 10:00 news". 

Another hour later, we had a team at the house, and Jason was placed on 24 hour care.  They also administered another pain medication which seemed to work.  Jason stopped moaning, and was able to relax and fall back asleep.  So, now we were staffed with a home health-care worker all day, which allowed us to relax a bit more and spend time talking to Jason rather than trying to fix the problem. 

After the morning drama, the afternoon was pretty quiet.  By now, Jason was sleeping most of the time.  It was getting harder to wake him, and when we were able to, he didn't stay lucid for very long.  He was also unable to talk or more very much.  It was almost as if he was becoming paralyzed as death took hold of his body.  A few more visitors stopped by that evening including our favorite nurse, Leah, from Baylor.  She brought Jason a Frosty from Wendys...which we actually used to help administer some medications, since he was now having trouble swallowing.  Jason loved Leah so much, and you could tell because he actually became more aware while she was there.  He did his "Oh hi!" thing to her several times, which made us all laugh.  Even like this, he was still so cute.

I walked Leah out to her car a little while later, and she told me she thought it would be over by the weekend.  She told me that he was very close, and that we needed to stay close by.  I'm so glad we had someone like Leah to hold our hands through all of this.  It made things so much easier to digest and handle knowing we were getting the best advice.  I hugged her goodbye and told her I would call her after it happened.

Our night-time hospice nurse arrived a little earlier and had settled in by the time Leah left.  Jason hadn't woken up for several hours, and by midnight, we all decided we should get some sleep.  Like the previous night, I sat next to him for a minute before trying to wake him.  This time, though...he didn't wake up.  I didn't push, instead, I kissed his lips, said "I love you so much", and turned to go to bed. 

Only Hours Left

No comments:

Post a Comment