Thursday, July 30, 2009

It Would Be An Honor

I received a call today from a woman with the Dallas Light The Night Walk organization. She and I met at my station a couple weeks ago to chat about the walk and ways to promote it. We had a great chat, and I learned that Team Jason is one of the top fundraisers so far. Very cool!

Today she called to ask me a favor. They've decided to do something different this year. Normally, at the Light The Night event, they'll have a memorial/remembrance ceremony before the walk starts. She explained that they've never felt right about it...that it's never felt like they've given the victims of Leukemia/Lymphoma the time and respect needed to honor them during this service. This year, they're taking a cue from another chapter, and they're creating a seperate event. It'll be the Dallas Remembrance Ceremony for all of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society sub groups - like Team in Training and Light the Night.

She called to tell me about the event, and then she shocked me. They want me to host the event in honor of Jason. They want me to share his story in honor of the countless others who've fought and lost battles with blood cancer. After I got over the inital shock, I was so unbelievably honored and humbled. I said YES, of course.

It later sunk in the enormity of this task. I have to stand in front of what could be hundreds of people (though most likely it'll be a lot less) and tell Jason's story...and my own. I have to talk about his fight, his struggle, and his death. I have to be strong up there...and not break down like I did at the funeral when reading my speech. That's going to be the hardest task of them all. But I'm up to it. It's a challenge that I accept...without a doubt.

I began thinking later tonight...I hope Jason is proud of what I'm doing in his name. Team Jason has been a success so far. Between his friend Jerrod and I, we've raised nearly $2,000! The walk is still 3 months away. The $3,000 goal I set at the beginning may be too low. I may have to raise that to $5,000. I can't tell you how proud I am of all of this. I just hope Jason is. I think he would be. I think he'd be embarrassed by all the attention, and I laugh when I say this... he's not here to say no! Finally, I get to say to him - sit back and shut up and take in all the love, the kind words, and the overwhelming feeling of support for you. Take it all in and let it fill you...because it is amazing how many lives you touched...and these people need to tell you that.

Until next time...
Stuart


No comments:

Post a Comment