Tuesday, June 16, 2009

His New Perch

I've just come from sitting at one of Jason's favorite places. Its the perch where he used to watch the planes take off and land at DFW Airport. I don't really know why I went there; it was as if my car just steered its way over there.

There is something calming, though, about watching the hustle and bustle of the airport traffic. Its also fun to watch the little kids whose parents bring them here to watch the planes landing. There a sort of innocence and excitement when you watch these planes from the kids eyes. There's life. There's wonder. There's awe.

Jason loved coming to this spot...or any spot where he could watch planes. He'd spend hours just watching the delicate dance of take-offs and landings. He was an avid aviation enthusiast. He knew everything about planes, flying, and even the aiports themselves. He loved to fly. That's why it was such a honor for me to accompany him on his final flight. Like his friend Jerrod said in his speech, Jason's got the best spot to watch the planes now...from right above them in the sky.

I only came to this particular spot once with him. But being there today, I felt closer to him than I have in several days. I felt like he was above me watching the same thing I was...and once again we got to share this site together. I have a feeling I'll be going back to this spot a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment