Friday, June 12, 2009

The Journey Begins

Recorded earlier tonight: I'm sitting on the plane...35,000 ft above the ground. I'm here with Jasons remains and I'm listening to the "Stuart" playlist on his iPod. The first song to play "Love of my Life" by Jim Brickman. I swear to you, it was everything I had in me not to breakdown just now. Why didn't I just change the song? I want to hear each of these, word for word.

Our trip through the security checkpoint was uneventful. That's what I was most worried about. You never know what you're going to get when you go through security. Luckily, though, there were competant and understanding people there today. So other than being an hour late taking off, so far things are as planned.

I had a rough start to the day. I couldn't bring myself to leave the house with Jason at first. It took me a good 30 minutes to get in the car. Once I did, I broke down. That was the last time he would be inside that house. Once again, the feelings all came rushing back. I started replaying the minutes of his death, the last few conversations we had in that house. Going back there will never be the same. Dallas itself will never be the same for me. The lights of the city will somehow seem dimmer to me.

So, the journey to Boston is underway, with a little rocky start...but not entirely bad. The flight has been really bumpy...to the point where they can't do beverage service. Hopefully, this isn't just foreshadowing and a metaphor for how this weekend is gonna go. I guess only time will tell.

Back to the future: We are here in Hudson (Marlborough actually) and at the hotel. Another hiccup of the trip - the beautiful photo of Jason that we had at the service in Dallas... the glass broke all over my mother's suitcase. How lovely! Can anything go right?!

More to come...
Stuart

No comments:

Post a Comment