Sunday, June 28, 2009

June 28th

We're an hour into June 28th now. It's officially been one month since the love of my life took his last breath.

Tonight, Jason's friends (and now my friends) Jerrod and Rob and I got together for dinner and then went out for drinks. We decided we needed a night on the town to celebrate Jason and help us forget that at the stroke of midnight, it would officially be the 28th. We had a good time, and it was actually kinda nice being back out on the town.

On the drive home, though...it hit me. It's June 28th...it's already been a month. I just can't seem to wrap my mind around that. There was a moment today when I was standing in the bathroom at his house and I actually thought it might've been a bad dream. That moment passed quickly and I realized that this was my reality now. I've been trying to remember every single detail about the last few minutes of his life...though I'm sure it's probably not a good idea for me to replay that over and over. I have to though...I have to replay it over and over and over...otherwise I won't think it's real.

I just still can't believe he's gone. I still can't believe he's dead. I still can't believe that I stood next to him, holding his hand while he took his last breath. I still can't believe that I watched as the funeral home covered his body and carried him away from me. I still can't believe that I had to pick up an urn with his ashes and bury it in Boston. I still can't believe that the man I looked up to for the last two years...the man I respected and love with every fiber of my being is gone. I don't believe it. It just doesn't seem real.

No comments:

Post a Comment