Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas Day Has Come And Gone

Well, it came, and now it's gone...almost.  There's still a few hours left.

It was Christmas Day like none of us ever wanted to spend.  Together...without Jason.  We all woke up with a timid feeling about the day.  Its tradition for the Harmons to break open the stockings first thing, and then enjoy eggs benedict for breakfast, followed by a hurried opening of the rest of the presents.  So we did everything according to plan.

In my stocking - which was Jason's stocking, by the way - were two frogs (Jane knows the significance...since the medium talked about frogs), and a couple other various things.  I should also note that as we were opening our stockings, there was music in the background.  And lo and behold, what should come on?  FELIZ NAVIDAD.  I announced to the others that Jason was most definitely here with us.

Breakfast was delicious, and then it was time for presents.  I had already given mine.  I paid for the framing of the Team Jason shirt autographed by the Ugly Betty staff.  I also created a photo book of Team Jason at the Light The Night Walk.  In return, I received two very sentimental things.  One of them was a beautiful figurine called "Heart of Gold".  It's a little boy holding a heart of gold close to his chest.  The saying attached to it says "You will always have my heart."  I, of course, burst into tears after I was told that this was from Jason.  Of course, it wasn't REALLY from Jason, but that didn't matter.  It was from him.  The second present that sent me into a tizzy is probably the most thoughtful gift I've ever received.  It's a beautiful drawing/painting of a ship that Jason did himself back in 1980 - the year I was born.  He would've been 10 or 11 at the time.  At the bottom, it even says "Jason '80".  I'll attach a picture below.

Holding this piece of art, this thing that he created with his own two hands was just the icing on the cake.  And what's funny - I received a message the day before from my widow-friend Casey who had received a piece of art from her dead husband's family that he had drawn in grade school.  I think it's incredible that we both received these gifts.  And what's even weirder...is that in my session with the medium, she brought up receiving art, seeing art, and having art.  I wonder if that's what all of this meant now.  Something to ponder, I suppose.

Anyway, after the last presents were opened, we relaxed and cleaned up a bit.  Ron and I decided to venture over to the cemetery to see Jason.  Jane stayed behind.  She couldn't handle it.  Ron and I stood there at his grave and both of us were overcome with emotion.  On this holiday he loved so much, it felt incredibly sad that he was not there with us in the flesh.  After a short time, we retreated to the car and sat there for a moment trying to regain our composures.  However, not 1 minute after arriving back at the house, I was sobbing in the arms of Jason's mother screaming "It's just not fair!"  I quickly calmed down after realizing it was not in good form to be standing in this woman's kitchen bawling my eyes out on her shoulder.  This was her son, after all.  She should be the one using MY shoulder...which she did later.

The rest of the day was fairly uneventful.  It's now 10pm, and we're all in our respective rooms getting ready for bed.  I leave here tomorrow afternoon (hopefully with all this crappy weather).  It'll be a bittersweet goodbye.  I've had a wonderful time here this trip, but I probably won't be back here until the end of May to observe the 1 year anniversary.  Hard to believe that's just 5 months away.  It's quite amazing how fast time goes by.  Quite sad, too.

Until next time --
Stuart
Here's the picture of Jason's artwork:

No comments:

Post a Comment