Monday, December 21, 2009

Influence Lasts Beyond Death

I had to share this with all of you.  It's so amazing, and just makes me beam knowing that the man I love is STILL influencing people from the other side.  It's unbelievable.


So, back on May 28th - the day Jason died - I sent an email to our "blast list".  It was the list we had been using for months to keep everyone on both of our sides updated on Jason's progress...or lack thereof.  One of the many people who responded to my email on the 28th was named Lauren.  She wrote some pretty sweet things about Jason...and then ended with this:


"There is no profound reason that I can come to for all of this.  But I can tell you that, because of what you and he went through, I registered at the national marrow donor registry.  If I ever get the call and a life is saved - it's because of you two.  (It's one of those things that I would have thought 'oh, I should do that'...but never would have gotten around to it.)  I suppose you could call it a mark of a greatly-lived life: inspiring others to do/be better and benefit others.... "


This afternoon, I got an email from Lauren again that made me completely break down (this is an excerpt):



"Well, a few weeks ago I did get a call that I may be a possible match.  It looks great on paper, and now I've gone in to get tissue typed.  All I know is that it's a 40 year old man with Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia.  I'm still awaiting word of whether I am the closest match.  Thus far, I haven't heard anything, but I have hope.  I can think of no better way to honor my friend than to do this.

Even if it isn't meant to be this time, another call in the future will make me that much more likely to donate (as they will already have done the preliminary tests).    It's already a small miracle I received a call just a few months after registering....the woman who took my blood had been on the registry for 12 years, but was never contacted.  Hopefully this is just a prelude to something bigger.

As I said, I'd wanted to wait to get a final answer...but if Jason taugh me anything, it's not to wait.  So I just wanted to share this with you.  And, I'd be grateful if you could share it with his parents as well.  If you are anything like me, you may think you still see him or feel him from time to time.  This is perhaps the most tangible 'sign' I've had...and the one that has offered the most encouragement as well.  I just wanted you to know and share in this part of the journey with me."


Isn't that just one of the most incredible things?!  I just can't get over how AWESOME this is.  This woman - because of Jason's brave fight - felt inspired to join the registry, and now she might have the chance to save someone else's life!  I mean... I just... there aren't words.  There just aren't.  It's just an incredible feeling to know the man I loved, the man I watched slip away... can still have this unbelievable impact on people's lives.  I wish I could just reach out and hug this woman!


Anyway, I just had to share this with all of you.  I'm literally beaming with pride tonight.  I'm so proud of her, but most of all, I'm proud of Jason for being the inspiration he was...and continues to be for so many people.  Truly the mark of an amazing man.


Until next time (next time will be in Boston) --
Stuart

1 comment:

  1. this is amazing!! i also joined the registry not long after my husband died. i havent gotten any notification of a match, yet, but i am really hoping it happens.

    good luck to lauren and i hope all goes well for her potential recipient!

    ReplyDelete